From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 16:27:38 CDT

Hi,
  Rather than making your own format, I'd suggest that you use one of the
many existing molecule/trajectory file formats so that you can work with
whatever software suits your needs. One easy-to-code format is the XYZ
format described here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/molfile/xyzplugin.html

VMD doesn't support all of the features of that format, but it'll get you
started and would allow expansion later. There are numerous other
file formats that might be better suited to your task, but XYZ is an
easy, fairly common file format to write output code for.

VMD doesn't currently read the "extra" data from XYZ files because
there's no way to guess their meaning. I intend to make VMD read these
into extra user-data fields at some point, but presently this is not the case.

VMD doesn't presently have a means of displaying velocity vectors built-in,
but that probably wouldn't be too difficult to add, if necessary. It can
easily be done with scripting with the existing versions of VMD.