From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2021 - 23:38:29 CST

Hi,
  In addition what Axel mentions, I'm working out finalizing things
on VMD 1.9.4, and for sure this will be the last release I plan to do
with any compilers that are pre-C++11. Already both of the recent
MacOS and Windows builds are using C++11 compilers, so it's really only
some of the linux builds for older systems that I'm dealing with now.
I'll at least take a shot at the idea of including the CIF plugin on
the platforms with the C++11 toolchains, but my time is short, so if I
hit any snags, then the alternative (for VMD 1.9.4) may be to do as
Axel suggests, or I may manually insert the plugin for the cases where
it's solid. I hope to followup on this very shortly as I begin making
the "beta" builds before the relase.

Best,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/