From: vermaasj (vermaasj_at_msu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 10 2020 - 09:47:00 CST

Probably. The PDB format has fixed widths, where the residue id can be no longer than 4 characters. You probably have more than 9999 residues, which means that VMD gets creative, and uses hexadecimal notation for the residue ID (0-f representing 0-16). This brings the total addressable space to 65535 residues. I typically only see this in solvent, where the residue numbers are pretty meaningless anyway.

-Josh