From: Daniel Fellner (dfel694_at_aucklanduni.ac.nz)
Date: Wed Nov 18 2020 - 18:18:04 CST

I also recommend upgrading to the latest (alpha) version. I had an issue
with an optimisation where I had to increase the water shift to +/-2.0 to
get semi-reasonable convergence, yet using VMD 1.9.4a48 the default
settings produced an almost perfectly converged run.

*Daniel Fellner BSc(Hons)*
PhD Candidate
School of Chemical Sciences
University of Auckland
Ph +64211605326

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 11:34 AM Daniel Fellner <dfel694_at_aucklanduni.ac.nz>
wrote:

> Please CC the VMD mailing list when replying.
>
> The distances will vary as much as you let them (with the water shift
> settings) to achieve the best fit. The energies are more important.
>
> *Daniel Fellner BSc(Hons)*
> PhD Candidate
> School of Chemical Sciences
> University of Auckland
> Ph +64211605326
>

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 11:16 AM Lokendra Poudel <poudel_2039_at_tamu.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> I checked the energy and distance of individual atoms. The energies look
>> ok but distances have highly fluctuated. Do have any thought about this?
>> Moreover, the total energy and dipole seem fine but not distant.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Lokendra Poudel, PhD
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 3:45 PM Daniel Fellner <dfel694_at_aucklanduni.ac.nz>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> You'll probably rarely get convergence as good as the tutorials.
>>>
>>> A few things:
>>>
>>> 1. You probably don't need to optimise charges with low penalty scores
>>> (<10 ~ 20). If you're still having issues with validation and you've tried
>>> everything else, that's when I'd go back and reoptimise these low penalty
>>> charges
>>> 2. Check the output after your runs and you can find out which
>>> interactions are causing the problem (large QME-MME deviation) and weight
>>> them lower accordingly. This will improve your fit. Also, ensure there are
>>> at least as many interactions loaded as there are atoms you're trying to
>>> optimise.
>>> 3. You're probably closer to a good solution at the higher water shift