From: Prathit Chatterjee (pc20apr_at_REMOVE_yahoo.co.in)
Date: Mon Nov 09 2020 - 01:14:26 CST

Thank you Prof. Freddolino for your educative comments.
Sincere Regards,
Prathit

    On Monday, 9 November, 2020, 03:15:57 pm GMT+9, Peter Freddolino <petefred_at_umich.edu> wrote:

 I think one useful step would be to actually calculate the magnitudes of the differences in coordinates between the original trajectory and the one read/written by VMD. The energy differences that you've noted here are tiny, on the order of less than one part per thousandth, and the energies are going to be very sensitive to small changes in coordinates.
I also suspect that if you actually inspect the files before/after running them through your procedure in vmd, you will find that they are in fact not the same format. Since you're using netcdf files in amber, you have a binary container format when you read them into VMD, but when you write from VMD in crdbox format, you're converting to an ascii format with different precision. Just because the file extension is .crd doesn't actually mean that the format is the same; you can see this easily enough by looking at them in any text viewer or editor. This seems likely to me to be the issue. If you want to avoid any changes you'd be best off comparing apples to apples, and having either netcdf-format or crdbox-format files both before and after vmd sees the coordinates.Best,Peter