From: René Hafner TUK (hamburge_at_physik.uni-kl.de)
Date: Sun Oct 25 2020 - 06:13:12 CDT

Hi Kelly,

now I see the issue here.

yeah, it might be impossible to get them all properly wrapped back as
they are not connected to each other and for me it looks the same that
box seems is too small.

But it may still work, try something like:

* qwrap center "protein and segname PROB" sel "all"

(trying to center and wrap around one specific fragment )

* qwrap center "protein" sel "all"

(use the geom center of the protein as a center and wrap all of them)

Cheers

René

On 10/23/2020 11:15 AM, René Hafner TUK wrote:

> [...]
>> the trajectory. It might just be that the dynamics are unreasonable
>> if the protein segment interact with other parts of themselves by PBC
>> and therefore may invalidate the results.
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> René
>>

>> On 10/22/2020 11:06 PM, McGuire, Kelly wrote:
>>> I know many people have asked a similar question and the topic is
>>> quite exhausted. However, I have tried multiple combinations of PBC
>>> wrap that I have found int he mailing list or in the manual and they
>>> aren't working this case.
>>>
>>> Problem Background:
>>>
>>> I just started a postdoc and have been asked to help one of the grad
>>> students to get the protein joined back together and re-centered in
>>> the water box.  He has run a 2-microsecond simulation of a
>>> multimeric protein (4 segments) in a water box. Two problems I
>>> noticed immediately is that his water box is too small for the
>>> protein (in my opinion) and second, he did not have wrap turned on
>>> in his config file.  He has chopped this 2-microsecond simulation
>>> into 40-nanosecond long DCD files, so he has 50 DCD files that need
>>> to be wrapped. In some of the DCD files I can get the protein joined
>>> back together and re-centered, but there are many that I cannot. I
>>> have pictures of one such very difficult case (email won't go
>>> through with attachments, how to send pics?).  Blue is segname PROA,
>>> Red is segname PROB, Orange is segname PROC, and Green is segname
>>> PROD. These pictures represent ~1.8-microseconds into the
>>> simulation.  Pic-1 and Pic-2 are the first frame (front and top-down
>>> views respectively). Pic-3 is the top-down view of the last frame.
>>> All of the protein segments are constantly close to the boundary
>>> conditions.  I can only get 2-3 of the segments to join back up
>>> before centering the water box. There is always one of the segments
>>> that won't join back with the rest of the protein.
>>>
>>> Questions:
>>>
>>> 1) Is it possible to do a wrap on the whole 2-microseconds DCD files
>>> at once? Meaning load all of the DCD files and wrap the protein? Or
>>> is it better to do each DCD file individually?
>>>
>>> 2) Is this an impossible case to wrap because the water box is too
>>> small?
>>>
>>> 3) Any specific suggestions on how to get this protein put back
>>> together and re-centered?
>>>
>>> 4) In the first few DCD files, I used:
>>>
>>> pbc wrap -center com -centersel "protein and segname PROB" -compound
>>> residue -all
>>>
>>> pbc wrap -center com -centersel "protein and segname PROD" -compound
>>> residue -all
>>>
>>> pbc wrap -center com -centersel "protein" -compound residue -all
>>>

>>> This worked just fine. Why would this not work for all 50 DCD files
>>> for the whole 2 microseconds? Are different wrapping commands needed
>>> for each DCD of the same long simulation?
>>>

>>> /Dr. Kelly L. McGuire/
>>>
>>> /PhD //Biophysics/
>>>
>>> /Department of Physiology and Developmental Biology/

Dipl.-Phys. René Hafner
TU Kaiserslautern
Germany