From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 19 2020 - 14:38:45 CDT

Hi,
  If you use the "user" field to assign your cluster index, you can map
up to 1024 distinct colors, and since the color scales can be programmed
with custom colors of your choosing, this should be well more than what
you need. I've attached an example script that contains a bunc of
procs that can reprogram the VMD color scales to color scales found in
Matlab and similar programs as an example of how to set the color scale
colors to anything you like. By using the custom color scale,
"Color by User", and setting the color scale data range appropriately,
you can achieve a very broad range of possibilities for any number of
unique colors up to 1024.

Best regards,
  John Stone

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/