From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 13 2020 - 14:36:56 CDT

Hi,
  After a bit of a struggle with Microsoft compiler version incompatibilities,
I've managed to successfully compile the latest VMD using Visual Studio 2019.

My first VS2019 test builds are still 32-bit, and I've posted a win32 build
of VMD 1.9.4a47 last night so that people can try it out.

The first builds are still 32-bit due to the very library dependency issues
that Axel has already pointed out. However, I believe I've charted a path
to navigates through the compiler version incompatibility minefield with
at least the key VMD dependencies that can't be avoided for a functional
VMD compilation.

Here are the next few steps I have planned for Windows VMD 1.9.4 test builds,
depending on how trouble free the next several steps go with x64 support:

1) Solidify the contents and structure of the VS2019 project files for win32
   and add them alongside the past visual studio project files.

2) The next step will be to enable compilation of the collective variables
   features in the existing 32-bit VS2019 build

3) Investigate use of TECLA / linenoise command line editing/history
   libraries with the windows console APIs.

4) Add x64 build targets, and compilation against Tcl/Tk 8.6.10
   (required for VS2017 or VS2019 compatibility, prior versions fail to
    build with the recent revs of Visual Studio, and the documentation
    shows that even with VS2017 and 2019, special steps have to be taken
    to match up with specific Windows SDK component versions supported by
    these compilers).

5) Add CUDA support to the x64 targets (NVIDIA has deprecated 32-bit CUDA).

6) Enable the OptiX and OSPRay RT engines for Windows x64 builds.

Best,
  John Stone

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/