From: Michael Robinson (michael.robinson1_at_monash.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 25 2020 - 00:00:54 CDT

Hi John,

Miro provided the script that they used in their testing. It's just a short
.tcl script (see below), but when submitting it as a job (instead of just
using vmd -dispdev text -e test.tcl) on both SLURM and PBS based HPC, it
does immediately exit instead of providing the normal output.

The contents of the testing script test.tcl are:

axes location off
> display depthcue off
> display resize 640 720
> for {set i 0} {$i < 20} {incr i} {
> puts $i
> }
> display get size

When executing this in a normal terminal environment with vmd -dispdev text
-e test.tcl, the relevant parts of the output are:

OptiXRenderer) ERROR: Failed to load the OptiX shared library.

1
> 2
> 3
> 18
> 19
> 640 720

Whereas running the same script within a PBS or SLURM, the output is as
follows:

Info) /usr/local/vmd/1.9.4/lib/plugins/LINUXAMD64/molfile
> after#0
> OptiXRenderer) ERROR: Failed to load the OptiX shared library.
> OptiXRenderer) NVIDIA driver may be too old.
> OptiXRenderer) Check/update NVIDIA driver
> Info) VMD for LINUXAMD64, version 1.9.4a31 (March 13, 2019)
> Info) Exiting normally.

I don't think the exiting is due to the OptiX library - the same message
occurs in the successful output. Given this occurs on completely
independent HPC, it does seem like it may be something to do with the
interaction between a scheduled job and VMD.

Regards,
Michael Robinson