From: Nisler, Collin R. (nisler.1_at_buckeyemail.osu.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 20 2020 - 16:21:28 CDT

     Hello, I am trying to follow the NAMD Dynamical Network Analysis tutorial, and I am having issues with VMD calling external programs, namely catdcd 4.0 and carma.
     I have downloaded the binary for carma and it runs perfectly fine when called in the command line. I added this location to my path in my .bashrc script (PATH=$PATH:'/home/path/to/carma/Carma/carma/bin/linux'), but when I run the command "networkSetup network.config" in either the text-version of vmd, through a tcl script, or directly in the tk console, it doesn't seem to recognize or care about anything I placed in my path. It doesn't recognize carma, or catdcd 4.0 that I have also placed in my .bashrc (it defaults to the version of catdcd that is already in /programs/). When it tries to call carma, it crashes with the message "-code 1 -level 0 -errorcode NONE -errorinfo {couldn't find program `carma'")". Is there some reason vmd isn't looking in my path for these two programs? This has worked for me in the past, so I am unsure what is the issue. I think it would be possible to "force" it to do so by editing the vmd.rc script, but I don't have the permissions to do so. Thanks for your attention.

Collin Nisler