From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 12 2020 - 15:04:44 CDT

the problem lies in using .psf files. the .psf file format is meant to be
use with CHARMM, which bond, angle, dihedral and improper types are
implicitly defined by the atom types and pattern matching to the parameter
file. essentially, it is difficult to recover information that you have
deleted.

as far as i can tell, you have three options:
- you can use the "guess" functions in the topotools plugin to regenerate
bond, angle, dihedral types from atom types. ideally, you can then write
down the necessary xxx_coeff commands to fill in the parameters by
processing the data file with a text editor and comparing them to the
settings from the original data file.
- you prepare a water box without any solute and then use topotools and vmd
scripting to merge the two systems and delete overlaps
- same as before, but you use LAMMPS with using read_data twice.

neither will work fully automatically and has the risk of mixing things up
or that you may make a mistake that can go unnoticed (for a while).

HTH,
    axel.