From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 10 2020 - 09:57:06 CDT

Bart,
  We have sometimes encountered a situation where the NICE DCV server
software interferes with interactive OptiX rendering for unknown reasons.
The same code runs without trouble on bare metal. But, under DCV I have
sometimes seen the display loop hang inside the DCV OpenGL interposer
library.

When this has occured, I have sometimes had luck restarting
VMD and just repeating the same sequence and the next time it works.

I'm not sure if there's a threading issue in DCV (it gets stuck in a mutex IIRC)
or a bug in it's handling of certain combination of window / GL events,
but I've seen this issue crop up and go away, on and off over a few
generations of their software. We have 20 machines running DCV here,
and only some of them have ever exhibited this behavior.

Another thing you can try when this occurs is to limit VMD to talking
to just one of the GPUs, using VMDOPTIXDEVICEMASK 0x1 (or 0x2), and see
if that affects the behavior. My recollection has been that if I had
OptiX use a non-display GPU (that DCV was ignoring) then the hang never
occured.

I haven't had this happen in a while, but try the suggestions above
and see how it behaves.

Best regards,
  John Stone

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/