From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed May 20 2020 - 10:26:21 CDT

Giacomo,
  Thanks for the concrete feedback.
The tab completion feature for linenoise requires that the caller
(VMD) register a callback to be triggered any time the user presses
the completion key (tab, in this case). I haven't implemented
tab completion in the version of the code I sent you.

To implement tab completion, I would likely use the Tcl command
"info commands" to get a list of all global Tcl commands, which would
include Tcl-intrinsic commands, VMD-internal commands, and VMD plugin
commands added to the global namespace. I could use that to provide
a large fraction of the completion candidates in an automatic way
without hard-coding a bunch of Tcl-specific stuff there.

As with tab completion, I also didn't yet implement the "hint" callback
described in the linenoise README doc.

The linenoise code appeals to me because of the BSD license
and minimalist implementation (3% of the size of GNU readline).

Another more full-featured option would be the BSD libedit
library, which is apparently what Apple uses (along with a shim)
to emulate GNU readline (since they can't ship the real readline
lib due to GPL). I haven't looked at how clean/portable libedit is
outside of BSD OSes, but that might be another option for those
that expect a more featureful line editing implementation.

The implementation I made for linenoise should serve as a proof of
concept for implementing support for any of the other line editing libs.

Best,
  John