From: Josh Vermaas (joshua.vermaas_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 30 2020 - 07:45:14 CDT

Hi Doug,

In order to build the initial solvent box, I do something like what was
described here for a box of methanol:
https://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/29596.html

Then in general you'd do something like this, where the -ks argument is the
atomselection text you'd use to grab a single atom from the solvent
molecule ("name CB" is what I use for methanol).

solvate input.psf input.pdb -o output -spdb solvent.pdb -spsf solvent.psf
-stop solvent.top -ws 2.4 -ks "name CB"

Mixed solvents are tricky though. What I have done in the past is to use
the -minmax argument to fill my solvent box by volume, and let the solvent
mix during equilibration. The solvate plugin to my knowledge cannot deal
with mixed solvents directly, because the -ks argument needs to resolve to
a single atom in the molecule.

-Josh