From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 29 2020 - 01:20:47 CDT

I forgot to also suggest that as a workaround, to try
setting the Windows environment variable "TMP" to some directory
that doesn't contain a space, and see if that works or not.
According to the latest MS C runtime docs, tempnam(), _tempnam(),
GetTempPathW(), and others check the value of the TMP, and TEMP
environment variables.

Try and see if that provides you with a workaround for your
existing VMD installation without having to change anything
about your username.

Best,
  John Stone