From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 28 2020 - 15:20:04 CDT

Hi Alex, you should use the same version of the Tcl library already linked
with VMD. In RedHat-based Linux distributions tcl-devel is the name of the
package to install. On Debian-based ones, tcl-dev. And so on.

Here are the instructions to build VMD:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/doxygen/compiling.html
You wouldn't have to build VMD itself: just use the same Tcl library used
in your build.

Since you mention Homebrew, are you on macOS? If so, things are definitely
more complicated (see threads about Catalina vs. previous versions on this
list). Also, take a look at PBCTools as well, which is quite a bit slower
than qwrap because it relies on scripted code, but should take you longer
than to troubleshoot how to link dynamically a plugin in macOS. This can
be done (again, see earlier messages) but it may not be time-efficient for
you.

Giacomo

--
Giacomo Fiorin
Research collaborator, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD