From: Josh Vermaas (joshua.vermaas_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 09 2020 - 17:04:14 CDT

Hi Hendrik,

I missed a "guesscoords" command initially (put it right after regenerating
angles and dihedrals). Since the names for the hydrogens in the NMR
structure and the CHARMM force field are not identical, some elements of
the structure look a little freaky, since the default is for psfgen to put
everything at the origin. guesscoords guesses based on connectivity where
the missing atoms should go.

Now for the fun part: you've got a patch that works, but isn't ready for
simulation quite yet. To demonstrate this, try the following in the
tkconsole.

set sel [atomselect top "all"]
vecsum [$sel get charge]

You will see that you have a non-integer charge. That is the other part
that goes in the patch, changing atomtypes and charges so that the physics
that you are modeling is correct. What I'd do in your shoes is to change
the charges and atomtypes around the new linkage so that they match a usual
peptide bond (see the DISU patch for an example of how CHARMM expects the
format of changed atom types and charges). For simulation, note that you'll
*still* need to figure out what parameters you are missing (I just let NAMD
tell me one at a time). Alot of them will be pretty easy to do by analogy,
since CHARMM has standard-ish parameters for alot of interactions, but that
will also be a decision you'll need to make.

-Josh