From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 01 2020 - 00:53:17 CDT

Hi guys,
  I'm still short on time, we had some significant computing disruptions
here and being under lockdown slowed down our responses significantly,
and I haven't had a chance to get caught up yet.

The big difference between the C++11 issue for a plugin vs. VMD itself is
that a plugin that has unresolved dependencies will not crash the entire
VMD session, whereas code included in VMD itself will. There are still
some gotchas for me to compile the C++11 code that I'll have to work through,
but there have always been a few plugins that required special non-standard
compilation, so my VMD build system can handle this case without much
difficulty I think.

In the short term I do expect to continue to make builds that support older
distros like CentOS 6.x. This isn't motivated by official end of support
dates for RHEL6/CentOS 6.x, but rather because those distros are some of
the last ones that provide completely trouble-free support for
stereoscopic displays (LCD shutter glasses, clone-mode passive stereo
projection systems, 3-D TVs, etc). We managed to get a CentOS 7.x
system to "limp" with stereoscopic display support, but it's been a
comparative nightmare. I haven't tried CentOS 8.x yet, and I've heard
it's near hopeless on Ubuntu from what others have said. The stereoscopic
display users are a minority among the full VMD user community, but
that's one of the "hold out" groups from upgrades to newer distros.

In any case, I plan to have a look at Francois-Xavier's plugin this
week and I'll let you know more as I put effort into building it and Gemmi
on a few different platforms. I'll report back when I've had a chance
to do this, and what my results on various platforms look like.

Best,
  John Stone