From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 10:46:44 CDT

Karunesh,
  I'm afraid that if you got corrupt files on one of NCSA's machines,
the best course of action is probably to request a refund of SUs for
the simulation time for which you got garbage output. People in our
lab have seen similar problems on occasion, though their DCD files
haven't had corrupt headers, instead they've sometimes gotten blocks
of atom data where the coordinates are all zero's. There's not much
you can do with such files, they are essentially trash if you really
needed the timesteps that contain the garbled data.

Your problem is more severe than most because the error you got
indicates that not only was the file corrupt, but some of the
critical timestep header information in the file was destroyed, and so
there's nothing VMD was able to do to save it. You might try
the header information for a particular group of timesteps, but
it's basically a trial-and-error process to try and skip around
damaged timesteps. I'd suggest starting by skipping the frames
near the point where VMD returns the error.

If you get the error immediately on loading the trajectory file,
before any timesteps are actually read, then it's a lost cause, as
the main header data must be corrupt, hopefully this is not the case however.

Good luck,