From: Pawel Kedzierski (pawel.kedzierski_at_pwr.edu.pl)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2020 - 05:06:47 CST

W dniu 01.02.2020 o 05:54, Joey Gehring pisze:
> I am still attempting compilation of vmd on the processor listed in
> the subject line. I am following the instructions:
> https://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/doxygen/compiling.html#compiling
>
> It says that I need tcl/tk files but I'm sure they need to be packaged
> for ARM. Is this correct according to your knowledge?

Yes, but I guess the Debian configured on your PineBook has probably the
default repositories setup for ARM architecture in /etc/apt/sources.list

If so, then it will likely be sufficient to install just the development
package. Check which tcl/tk version (8.x) you need an then try:

sudo apt-get install tcl8.x-dev tk8.x-dev

If they are not available, you may indeed need to compile from source.
Again it may be advisable to get the (regular) Debian source package and
use Debian tools to compile it. A good description is in the Debian
Administrator Handbook:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/debian-packaging.en.html#sect.rebuilding-package

To add another Debian repository to get the source packages not
available for pinebook you may also need to add the signing key to your
distro trust database. See `man apt-key`.

HTH,

Pawel