From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2020 - 08:43:29 CST

Hi,
  The best way to avoid startup overhead is to leave VMD running
and have it orchestrate larger scripts rather than the other way around.
You can have VMD launch Python and bash scripts and/or external programs
and that way there's no repeated restarting.

If turning the call sequence around is impractical for some reason, then
you CAN disable VMD attaching to the GPU(s) for CUDA/OptiX by setting
the environment variables before launching VMD:
/bin/sh
  export VMDNOCUDA=1
  export VMDNOOPTIX=1

/bin/csh | /bin/tcsh