From: Vermaas, Joshua (Joshua.Vermaas_at_nrel.gov)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2019 - 09:38:35 CDT

Hi Per,

If you are happy with the charges on some atoms, just do not include them in the optimization. If memory serves, FFTK autopopulates the charge optimization table with the initial charges from the psf. If these entries are deleted, FFTK treats the psf charges for the deleted atoms as gospel and will fix those charges during optimization. During the optimization, the charges on the remaining atoms will be optimized so that the total charge for the whole molecule ends up being whatever you set.

My recommendation is that you tackle the net neutral molecule first. From what I know about ionization, usually there is substantial charge rearrangement to deal with the hydrogen that is lost. This means that the usual rules for CHARMM-based parameters (0.09 for most hydrogens, 0.42 or so if they are on an alcohol, etc.) do not really apply anymore, and you don't really know what kind of crazy answers you are going to get, which means that CGenFF's penalties may be inaccurate. Even worse, you'd need to run a whole different set of Gaussian calculations, so you may as well consider them to be two entirely different molecules.

A similar story applies to the dihedrals, in that FFTK can be told to only tune specific parameters by deleting the other parameters from the little table in the optimization setup.

-Josh