From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2019 - 10:53:26 CDT

Hi,
  I realized, I forgot to mention another scene format that is rapidly
becoming interesting. Pixar's "USD" format supports a bunch of
sophisticated geometric primitive types, but it's still relatively
heavily geared toward triangle meshes. A key interest in USD however
is that it is designed to be extensible, and there are a large number
of companies implementing tools that import/export scenes in USD format.
I haven't started writing a USD exporter for VMD yet as I have to
come to grips with all of the associated library dependencies and
complexity that they would add to the VMD compilation process,
but it looks like there's a great deal of future potential there.

Pixar and other contributors have made all of the USD source code, test
cases, and even full-up example renderers freely available as open source IIRC,
so there's an impressive foundation for tools like VMD to build on:
  https://graphics.pixar.com/usd/docs/index.html

If/when I have some prototypical USD support in a public version of
VMD I'll definitely make people aware of it.

Best,