From: Luc Boisvert (lboisvert_at_pugetsound.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2019 - 17:36:22 CDT

Hi Walter,

What you mention might be related to some of what is in the following thread:
https://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/30736.html

I still haven't been able to export from VMD in any 3D format a 3D molecule with an electrostatic potential mesh. I very much hope there is a way to do it in VMD that I haven't discovered! After trying a bunch of stuff with a bunch of programs, the only option I have found so far to generate a 3D structure file with an electrostatic potential mesh is to generate the structure in JMol and then export it as .wrl. Then this can be opened in Autodesk 3ds Max (and nothing else!) and converted to another 3d format. (By comparison, exporting a 3D electrostatic potential mesh as .wrl or .obj in VMD doesn't render the colors correctly.)