From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2019 - 20:11:43 CDT

Hi,
  Josh's description is correct. The axes "origin" relates to the viewport.
For your molecule(s), VMD does automatic translation and scaling to compose
a view that encompasses everything that should be visible when you reset
the view...

By default, when you reset the view, VMD will compute a bounding box for
the active representation on the "top" molecule, and it will then compute
the necessary view transformations such that the center of that bounding
box is brought to the center of the 3-D viewport.

So, if you want to see the origin of your molecule, you might instead
draw your own marker there, e.g. with the graphics "draw" commands such as:
  draw sphere { 0 0 0 } resolution 20 radius 2.0

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/