From: Ryan McGreevy (ryanmcgreevy_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2019 - 14:34:30 CDT

As John mentioned, creating a mask around an atom selection is probably
what you're looking for. In the latest VMD 1.9.4 alpha builds, there is a
new tool, "voltool" for manipulating density maps. The "voltool mask"
command will mask a density around an atom selection and give you a density
of just that region. In older versions of VMD, you can create a mask using
the "volmap mask" command, then apply using "volutil -mult" command to
multiply the mask against the original density map. (The new "voltool mask"
command does the same thing, but automatically in one step so it is much
easier to use.)