From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2019 - 00:33:04 CDT

Hi,
  VMD presently only supports trajectories with a constant number of
particles. To accomodate a varying number of particles, you'd need to
create a number of "dummy" particles sufficient for the maximum particle
count for any frame in the trajectory, and mark the real vs. dummy particles
so that they can be easily disambiguated with simple atom selections.
Another option would be to load the varying particle counts into independent
VMD "molecules", and use the multiple molecule animation plugin to play
through them like a normal trajectory.

Best regards,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/