From: Vermaas, Joshua (Joshua.Vermaas_at_nrel.gov)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2019 - 12:04:01 CDT

Hi Bart,

There are two ways I can see this working. One is to use Tcl, and modify the user field for each atom to a numeric identifier for the cluster they belong to. Then you would color your trajectory by the user field, which can be updated per frame. Lets say you've written a text file with all your cluster identifications per frame, with one per line. I *think* something like this would do what you want.

#Setup. Read the file, set some initial variables
set sel [atomselect top "all"]
set fp [open "data.txt" r]
set file_data [read $fp]
close $fp
set frame 0
set data [split $file_data "\n"]
#Act on each line.
foreach line $data {
$sel frame $frame
#Assuming a space-delimited output format
set cluster [split $line " "]
$sel set user $cluster
#On the next line, apply to the next frame
incr frame
}

The other is with python, and would be more applicable if not every atom was assigned to a cluster, or if your data structure was oriented such that clusters only knew which atoms they contained. This requires a working python-enabled VMD installation. You would use the Molecule and MoleculeRep commands to create a distinct representation for each cluster at each frame, taking advantage of the ease of removing all representations through the python interface relative to the Tcl one.

-Josh