From: Vermaas, Joshua (Joshua.Vermaas_at_nrel.gov)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2019 - 18:15:16 CDT

I can vouch for Brian's approach. It is what I myself have used for the past several Ubuntu iterations I've had. One comment for those of you working in 18.04 land, is that lightdm was replaced by gdm, and that dropping to a terminal now requires ctrl+alt+f2 or ctrl+alt+f3 (f1 gets you back your current X-windows session).

-Josh