From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2019 - 15:39:34 CDT

Hi,
  The 'volmap' plugin its associated C code were originally written
outside of and independently of VMD, so they don't really follow
the multithreading or MPI parallelization schemes used in the other
analysis-oriented parts of VMD.

What 'volmap' command/feature are you using currently? There are now
some alternatives to volmap for things like density map calculations that
are substantially faster (GPU accelerated, and/or CPU multithreading) that
may be a viable alternative for you to try out. Let me know what
you're actually doing and I can give further suggestions, or at least
an outlook for when the last bits of 'volmap' will have been superceded
with the new and in-development code.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/