From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2018 - 10:12:23 CST

Hi,
  Yes, it should be noted that the existing implementations of the
"measure fit" routines in VMD are not symmetry-aware, so things like
rings could be a potential problem. As you have discovered, one can
work around this by changing the atom indexing order to accomodate
the symmetry, etc.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/