From: Vermaas, Joshua (Joshua.Vermaas_at_nrel.gov)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2018 - 18:06:15 CDT

Hi Kinkini,

I can't speak to why the plugin is misbehaving, but the MSD = t * D/(2d), with D being the diffusion constant you want to calculate, d being the number of dimensions considered for diffusion, and t being time. Over short timescales, your diffusion can often be overestimated, but fitting the slope over longer timescales usually works. My advice is to first plot your MSD vs time in something like Excel and do the linear fit there so you have something to compare with, since the slope is related to your D value.

Of the scripts you linked to, the matlab code is more readable to a newcomer, since it uses POLYFIT to compute the linear regression. The fortran version does the same thing, its just not as easy to read.

-Josh