From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2018 - 10:02:42 CDT

Hi,
  Yes, I have already completed rewriting the necessary parts of VMD
to support RTX hardware-accelerated ray tracing a few weeks ago.
VMD was one of the first applications to support RTX, as announced
by NVIDIA at Siggraph (search for "VMD" in about the middle of the page):
  https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/08/13/turing-industry-support/

At this point I'm waiting for the required NVIDIA software libraries
to come out of NDA, which is taking a little longer than had originally
been expected. I'm testing the latest version of the code now to ensure
that VMD is ready to ship with RTX support as soon as NVIDIA releases
the new version of OptiX.

Best,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/