From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2018 - 10:02:58 CDT

Hi,
  It is also worth noting that "residue" is the residue numbering assigned
internally by VMD, which is unrelated to whatever was provided by your
input files. It is a zero-based unique residue numbering unlike what
you may have expected from a PDB, for example. See the User's Guide
for more information about the different residue fields.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/