From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2018 - 10:10:00 CDT

Hi Carlos,
  This strikes me as a driver bug.
The OpenGL quad-buffered stereo code in VMD hasn't changed in quite a while, and it
had been working fine on Linux and Windows in all of the previous testing I've done.

The NVIDIA 3D vision test programs are written using Direct X rather than OpenGL,
so the fact that they work okay means that at least the hardware is working,
but I think that the OpenGL part of the driver stack must not be working correctly.

The Quadro FX 5800 is now a very old GPU (GT200 architecture) that is no longer
supported by the current NVIDIA drivers, which I'm guessing you're already keenly aware
of. This makes our options somewhat limited and cumbersome. My suggestion would be
to cycle through the last few driver versions that support GT200-architecture GPUs
in general, or the FX 5800 explicitly, and see if you can find one that works correctly.
This isn't a fun process, but if you want to keep using that card, that is likely
the best option.

Perhaps if we're lucky, another Windows user with GT200-based GPUs can comment about
what driver versions work for them on Windows 10 w/ stereoscopic displays.
Let's see if anyone else can comment on their recent experiences here.

Best,