From: Peter Kroon (p.c.kroon_at_rug.nl)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2018 - 09:36:14 CDT

Hello world!

I would like to turn a VMD scene into a pretty picture. I want this
picture to be high resolution (~3315x4000px), and using AO and Depth of
Field. I have tried the following, continually running into issues:

1) Use Tachyon-OptiX: I can't put the desired resolution. If I do, it
fails immediately with a memory error. See also
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/27940.html

2) Use Tachyon internal: Creates a super fuzzy picture, probably because
the meaning of 'Aperture' changed from 'x' to '1/x'.

3) Use external Tachyon renderer: If I fix the 'Aperture'; and changing
FocalDist to FocalLength I *almost* get the picture I want, but it seems
the FocalLength option is simply ignored (see also
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/15285.html). This
happens with both 0.98.9 and 0.99b6.

Does anyone have anything else I can try? I build all the software from
source, in case it matters.

Peter