From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2018 - 14:51:37 CDT

Hi,
  Each of those errors is associated with external programs that are
normally separately compiled and incorporated into the VMD distribution.
You can get the source code for STRIDE, Surf, and Tachyon, and compile
them, locate the binaries in the required subdirectories (the ones you
see in the errors) and then when you build your complete distribution you'll
have all of the components.

You can still compile VMD without these, but you won't be able to view
secondary structure without STRIDE, and without Tachyon you wouldn't
be able to do external renderings with Tachyon (using .dat scene files).
Without Surf you won't be able to use the "Surf" molecular surface
representations, but you could always use MSMS or QuickSurf if you want.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/