From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon May 07 2018 - 16:24:28 CDT

Hi,
  Catching up on emails that arrived while I was traveling...
There isn't any built-in handling of subscript/superscript rendering
in VMD. You could implement something like this with a bit of fancy
scripting if you want it badly enough. I would say that in most cases,
the built-in labels in VMD tend to be used for interactive measurements
and display of values by VMD plugins, but most people end up using
tools like Adobe Illustrator to make "picture perfect" labels in their
final manuscript figures, and this also ensures that they are using
fonts consistently among their figures, and the manuscript text, all
of which are problems that are well outside the scope of what the
text and label drawing routines in VMD were intended to accomplish.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/