From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu May 03 2018 - 20:35:46 CDT

Hi,
  One of the standard NAMD benchmarks is a small virus (1M atoms) if you
want to play with an existing structure in NAMD and VMD. The modeling
that goes into building a virus from scratch usually takes a hard working
scientist some months of work just to get started since there are so
many issues to get right when building all of the pieces (and of course
just simply because there are a lot of pieces). The complete PSF/PDB
for STMV can be found in the "Example Simulations" part of the NAMD page here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/utilities/

You can load it into VMD and play around with it to get ideas of what
this all looks like when completed for a tiny satellite virus.

On the same web page you'll see "20STMV" and "210STMV" files, those
are replicated copies of STMV used to benchmark the computing horsepower
required for simulations of larger structures, e.g., HIV.
The HIV-1 virus capsid our colleague previously simulated is roughly
64 times the size that STMV is, as a point of reference...

There are variouis tools and information available that can be used
to help prepare portions of virus simulations. VMD can work with
non-standard PDBs to get past the limits of the PDB format up to a
certain size (e.g. STMV is done that way), but for systems as large
ast HIV, you have to use special file formats that are unique to
VMD and NAMD, particularly if you to systems beyond about
5 or 10 million atoms in size. You would still use the same tools
to build your structure and prepare the simulation inputs, but the
task of constructing such big systems is accordingly more work, and
every step is slower and more error prone for many reasons.

Best,