From: Romaric David (david_at_icps.u-strasbg.fr)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 11:56:18 CDT

John Stone wrote:

> Hi,
> This sounds like some sort of problem with your X server. The fact
> that VMD gets stuck in a select() call caused by a chain of X commands
> starting with that glXChannelRectSyncSGIX() sounds to me like you either
> have a buggy X server, or a buggy OpenGL driver, or some combination thereof.
> Since you didn't past in the startup line saying which OpenGL driver
> VMD found, I don't know what you're using, but I'd definitely suggest
> that the OpenGL driver is the place I'd probably start looking for problems,
> particularly on Linux, where they seem to be the Achilles heel of the system.

Hi John,

That sounds interresting. We are using an Open GL Driver from Nvidia (verison 5336-1),
but the program hangs even when launched remotely (but for sure it still uses the
Nvidia library calls...).

The problem is I want to run a CAVE + GL version of vmd, and CAVE requires OPENGL
and not MESA.

        Romaric