From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2018 - 10:36:54 CDT

There isn't a way to do this at present, but I've been pondering
adding a global scaling factor for lines. Lines are always a
problem for ray tracing engines since they have no "size" per se.

The only reason VMD even uses lines is that they are very very
low cost for a GPU to draw.

I think that there are two solutions I would like to pursue:
 1) Add a global scaling factor for lines when exported to ray tracing
    engines so that this can be adjusted. This should be relatively
    easy to implement and then you could override it at runtime
    however you like. I might be able to get this implemented
    in the next week or so.

 2) Have cylinderical variants of everything that VMD would normally
    try to draw with lines. This is not quite as easy to implement
    since connected lines are simpler to draw than connected cylinders,
    but VMD already has the mechanism for most of what's needed here,
    and the affected representations (any/all "wireframe" modes) aren't
    too numerous, so this can probably be done before VMD 1.9.4 is released.

If you're willing to try a test version of VMD, it would be pretty easy
for me to come up with an initial implementation of 1) and have you test it.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/