From: Brian Radak (brian.radak_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2018 - 09:15:30 CDT

At least in newer versions of VMD autoionize should permit Na, K, Ca, etc.
In any event, the procedure requires building a new PSF and PDB with the
ions and so cannot be performed without a force field (which, to my
knowledge, is hard coded in VMD).

I recently hacked this procedure myself in order to build a solution of
CaPO4, for which there is not a standard force field. I first built a box
with NaCl using autoionize and then used a series of grep and sed
procedures to split up the PDB and rename the atoms and residues to match
those for calcium and phosphate. I then fed everything back into psfgen
with a script (completely outside VMD). By the end that took maybe an hour
of work? It's not a long-term solution at all, but it met my needs. If you
want I can share the script offline.

BKR