From: Axel Kohlmeyer (axel.kohlmeyer_at_theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 15:17:13 CDT

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:33:55 -0500 John Stone wrote:

> Hi,
> In the very near future I would like to find a few people
> that can test some new builds of VMD 1.8.3 for Linux.
> In particular, I'm looking for people that have access to a
> variety of Linux machines running different distributions.

hi john,

i can offer to check out redhat 7.1 (x86, alpha), suse 9.1 (x86)
suse 9.0 (x86_64), mandrake 10 (x86), and possibly also
some versions of knoppix (debian based, iirc).

you may consider buying a vmware license (works even over x11!),
so that you can install all kinds of distributions into
a single machine.

> The reason for this is because we were recently forced to
> upgrade our Linux compile box to a newer version, and thus
> the new VMD binaries I produce probably won't work on anything
> older than the original Redhat 9 distribution or thereabouts.

i'd also offer to contribute binaries built on these machines,
for as long as we keep them around (possibly until the end of
the year), or create and account for you, if you want to build
them yourself. i noticed recently that with newer libcs it gets
increasingly difficult to build (semi-)static binaries, that
will work on a larger variety of distributions. it feels kindof
weird, when the linker tells you that you'll need the exact same
_shared_ library if you want to run a statically linked binary...

oh well,
        axel.

> That being said, I'd still like to find out how interoperable
> the binaries I'm able to produce here are going to be so that
> if there are problems I can start working on solutions before
> it is time to release VMD 1.8.3. So, if you're willing to try
> out VMD 1.8.3 test versions on a few Linux machines with various
> distributions, please send me an email.
>
> Thanks!!!
> John Stone
> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu

Axel Kohlmeyer      e-mail:  axel.kohlmeyer_at_theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Lehrstuhl fuer Theoretische Chemie          Phone: ++49 (0)234/32-26673
Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum - NC 03/53         Fax:   ++49 (0)234/32-14045
D-44780 Bochum                   http://www.theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de