From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2018 - 10:19:21 CST

Hi,
  If you want to use advanced ray tracing features like depth of field
and the like, you'll need to increase the default number of samples
used for the batch mode renderings. When you run the interactive ray tracer,
you'll see that as it shoots more and more stochastic samples, it prints
the accumulated sample count in the VMD text console. When you want to
reproduce the same sample depth in a batch mod ray tracer, you need to tell
it to use that same sample count, as follows (the same syntax works for
the other Tachyon-derived ray tracing engines also):

# Set antialiasing sample count (number of primary rays per pixel)
# The default is 12
render aasamples TachyonLOptiXInternal 1024

# Set ambient occlusion lighting samples (AO feeler rays per hit)
# The default is 12, which is good when only using 12 AA rays per pixel,
# but when using depth of field or other features that require very large
# sample counts, it is best to set AO samples to 1, to avoid OptiX/CUDA
# kernel timeouts (RT kernel launches that take more than 0.7 seconds total)
render aosamples TachyonLOptiXInternal 1

Best,
  John Stone

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/