From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2018 - 09:50:16 CST

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 10:14 AM, Mahmood Naderan <mahmood.nt_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

> OK. I am now setting up vmd on a rocks 6.2 and I know the details of
> the server because I am on of the admins!
> Although the server itself has no dedicated graphic card, but I see
> that opengl is fine.
>
> mahmood_at_cluster:src$ glxinfo | grep render
> direct rendering: Yes
> GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer,
> GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer,
> OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.6, 128 bits)
> GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra, GL_NV_conditional_render,
> GL_ARB_clip_control, GL_ARB_conditional_render_inverted,
>

> Considering that vmd is able to run with opengl properly, I used the
> following commands to install vmd.
>

> cd plugins/
> vim Make-arch ## in order to remove the TCL and NETCDF lib files
> make LINUXAMD64
> mkdir -p ../vmd-1.9.3/plugins
> export PLUGINDIR=/home/mahmood/namd/vmd-1.9.3/plugins/
> make distrib
> cd ../vmd-1.9.3/
>

> vim configure ## to set install_bin_dir and install_library_dir
> ./configure LINUXAMD64 OPENGL

​is this *really* what you want?

the regular precompiled VMD packages have many, many more options, this is
for version 1.9.4a8:

vmd > vmdinfo options
LINUXAMD64 OPENGL OPENGLPBUFFER FLTK TK ACTC CUDA IMD LIBSBALL XINERAMA
XINPUT LIBOPTIX LIBOSPRAY LIBTACHYON VRPN NETCDF COLVARS TCL PYTHON
PTHREADS NUMPY SILENT ICC

​without the options FLTK and TK (and TK depends on TCL), you cannot have
any GUI elements.​

axel.