From: Ryan McGreevy (ryanmcgreevy_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2018 - 13:58:48 CST

It is hard to tell from the movie exactly what is happening, but if parts
of the structure are getting stuck where they shouldn't, in addition to
smoothing the map as you mentioned you tried, you could also try segmenting
the map prior to simulation. With a map segmented into different "parts"
(however you want to define them), you can run the MDFF simulation with
those multiple maps at the same time, each with their own corresponding
gridpdb file. This would allow for the forces from each sub-map to only
apply specifically to the atom selections you want, in this case for
example, making sure the stuck helix will only be affected by the forces
from the density it should fit into.

Because the gridforces underlying MDFF only "blindly" push atoms down the
local gradient, for more difficult modelling you will commonly have to use
schemes like these (domain restraints, smoothed and/or segmented maps,
initial finer-grained rigid body docking, IMDFF) to achieve the best
results.