From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2017 - 01:24:53 CST

You'd need to use the trace procedure in order to update the drawing every
frame. See this example:

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/att-2606/frameupdate.
vmd

It should be easy to adapt it. One hint from my side. Save the return values
of the draw command (handles) so that you can easily delete them before
drawing the new ones every frame. In case of having multiple drawings per
frame, it more smooth that "draw delete all"

Additionally the atoms you want to overlay with the cylinder can be aligned
using e.g. the Extension->Analysis->RMSD Trajectory Tool so they move less
between frames.

Good luck