From: Ashar Malik (asharjm_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2017 - 17:00:25 CDT

Hi,

I usually use this:

set pdbs [glob *.pdb]

to select all pdb extension files in the current working directory.

Using a for loop like

foreach i $pdbs { ... }

should allow you to iterate over the list.

Secondly to load it into Vmd

mol delete all

will delete everything from Vmd

mol load pdb $i

should then load each pdb in an iterative manner.

After which you can do what you want.

Having said that you can't compute the distance between side chains ...
Distances are between 2 atoms. So you have to select one atom per side
chain.

If you choose one atom per side chain you can look into

measure bonds atom_list

As far as my work is concerned I usually compute distance from geometrical
centers which are not occupied by atoms and I have never come across a
single function that measures a "distance" directly from two points. So I
always get the x,y,z coordinates of the center and use the distance formula
to calculate it.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't write back and someone can perhaps offer
more help.

Best,
/A