From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2017 - 22:17:24 CDT

Dallas,
  Try running the publicly posted VMD 1.9.4 alpha instead,
and see if it occurs there or not. I fixed a bug that affected VMD 1.9.3
where a non-normalized light direction would cause problems in the OptiX
renderer. You could also do this in VMD 1.9.3 and see if it cures the problem
(assuming you're just using lights 0 and 1):
  light 0 pos {0 0 1}
  light 1 pos {0.435 0.869 0.217}

Those are both unit-length light directions that should avoid triggering
the bug that I had in the OptiX renderer in VMD 1.9.3. In VMD 1.9.4 alpha
and later, the problem is fixed internally and it doesn't matter.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/