From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2017 - 14:17:22 CDT

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Brian Radak <bradak_at_anl.gov> wrote:

> The DX format is horrendously confusing IMO. The three columns have
> nothing to do with anything

​DX doesn't require these three columns. it just reads numbers in free
format. how the data is organized is encoded in the descriptor tags. the DX
format is much ​more powerful than what most MD analysis and visualizer
tools use (*and* understand). anybody old enough to have used the IBM Data
Explorer for visualization and spent some time figuring out its many ways
of importing data, can tell about it. later Data explorer became the open
source OpenDX project and then - if i remember correctly - was abandoned
about 10 years ago ( http://opendx.org ).

axel.